The weather is getting colder. It's rainy. Colds and flu and rampant. How can you boost your immune system naturally? This soup had been a favorite natural remedy for years. I warn you - it is delicious and highly addictive!
Pumpkin Kale Soup
- 1 pound organic canned pumpkin (13-ounces)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 cups raw kale
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed (i keep the skin on for added nutrients)
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 2 celery, chopped
- ¾ cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 cup edamame
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
1. Pour the olive oil into a large saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic until tender.
2. Add the chicken or vegetable stock, potatoes, kale, carrots, celery, pepper, edamame and corn. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
3. Stir in the pumpkin, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Cook 5-10 minutes longer.
*Sometimes I will add the kale with the pumpkin to keep it from cooking as long.