Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Fall is in the Air

The weather is beautiful. The extreme heat is gone. It is almost chilly in the morning. A very refreshing time of year. What I am most excited for as the season changes is moving into the next phase of seasonal eating. I absolutely adore root vegetables. They are so tasty - and grounding. Root vegetables are exactly as they sound - the roots of plants used as vegetables. These veggies are full of nutrients and thrive during these months...especially at a time when other fruits and veggies are scarce.

Last night I made a great side dish that is so easy to prepare and delicious to keep on hand. The great flavors and colors are big hit with children. You could even cut them in the shape of french fries!

Root Veggie Recipe

(You can easily adapt this to your taste preferences)

Rutabaga
Turnip
Beets
Sweet potato
Squash
Eggplant I
Lotus root (was an after thought, but would be delicious)

Cut them up into little cubes. Toss them in a bowl with a little Extra Virgin olive oil, Sea Salt, and Pepper. Spread them out on a baking sheet. Bake on 350-400 Degrees. I prefer baking at lower temperatures if time allows. Baking time will vary, but check every 15 mins to spread vegetables around. The last 10-15 minutes feel free to add fresh parmesean cheese, or garlic and rosemary.

Enjoy! I would love to hear your feedback.

P.s. I had a new discovery while cooking this last night. Everyone knows how wonderful raw foods (veggies) are for you. While cutting the beets I came across a new favorite snack. The beets were amazing raw. If you can get over the stained hands - these are full of flavor and crunch too!

1 comment:

  1. I make a very similar recipe but I add some honey as well. SO YUM!

    ReplyDelete