Saturday, October 1, 2011

Gluten free goodness

In an effort to try my hand at baking a bit more I took on adventure when trying to cook for a friend with a Gluten intolerance. I enjoy testing new ways of eating anyway as well as listening to my body with these substitutions...so my goal here is to see how I feel in the next week (or longer) trying to stick with a Gluten Free diet. Over the next few days I will share some great recipes I am trying at the moment. Enjoy!

Jewish Apple Cakelets

adapted from Ali Shapiro and EcoliciousLife

Ingredients
6 eggs
1 can white beans, rinsed
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon apple sauce
1.5 teaspoon baking powder
1.5 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1.5 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 orange (seeds removed)
1/3 up + 2 tabelspoons coconut flour
3 small apples peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons raw honey

Heat oven to 350 degrees

Line standard muffin tins with 12 cupcake liners.

Combine first 10 ingredients in vita-mix or kitchenaid

Add in coconut flour and blend until smooth.

Combine remaining ingredients in separate bowl. Spoon half of the apple mixture into the bottom of the lined muffin tins.

Pour batter from blender over apple mixture to fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.

Spoon remaining apple mixture into the almost full muffin liners.

Bake for 20-30 minutes (this varies widely based upon the oven turn the oven light on and peak in occasionally).

This can also be made into one very thick round 8 inch cake or two thinner round 8 inch cakes. When I made it into a thin cake it took about 8 minutes longer than the cupcakes. It's ready when it starts to brown around the edges.

Working on some great dinners...stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment